Muzaffargarh is a district in the south of the Punjab province of Pakistan.It is part of Seraiki Wasaib. It is spread over an area of 8,435 km². It forms a strip between the river Chenab on its east and Indus river on its West. It is one of oldest districts of Punjab. According to the 1998 census of Pakistan, the population of the district was 2,635,903 of which 12.75% were urban
Muzaffargarh District takes its name the chief town- Muzaffargarh. Muzaffargarh literally means “Fort of Muzaffar”, and is so called because the old town lies inside the walls of a fort built by Nawab Muzaffar Khan of Multan. Prior to that the place was known by a shop called “Musan Hatti”, on the road leading from Multan to Dera Ghazi Khan. The district was originally called Khangarh, with the headquarters at Khangarh. In 1859 the headquarters were moved to Muzaffargarh. The area of the district is 6052 square miles(according to revenue record 1928 it is 5561 square miles. The population according to the census of 1921, is 568,478.